Top Tips to Keep Your Eyeglasses Clean
There is nothing more irritating than a smudge on your eyeglass lenses. Unfortunately, it seems as though no matter how much time you spend cleaning eyeglasses, the smudges remain. Or worse, they multiply.
Your eyeglasses are an investment in your vision. It’s always wise to understand the best way to clean glasses before making a mistake that causes scratches or other permanent damage. This guide will teach you how to clean eyewear safely, so your lenses will last as long as possible.
How to Clean Your Glasses
The following step-by-step process will help you safely clean eyeglasses in any situation. Keep reading to learn what you need to do and what to use to clean glasses without damaging them in the process.
- Step One: Rinse your glasses with water. This helps to remove any particles of dust or debris that might otherwise scratch your lenses.
- Step Two: Do you know what to use to clean glasses? There are cleaning products designed specifically for eyeglasses. You should never use common household cleaning products that may damage the special coatings on your lenses.
- Step Three: Use a specialty eyeglass cleaning cloth. You can order one online or get them anywhere you can find glasses cleaner solutions. It’s especially important not to use your clothes or textured fabrics to clean them because they can damage the lenses, rub oils that are extremely difficult to get out, or leave scratches behind.
Following these key steps will help you properly clean your glasses. Of course, that’s only part of the process of keeping your glasses safe. The other aspects of proper eyeglass care are discussed below.
Some eye health professionals recommend using Dawn dishwashing detergent (original) while running them under water to remove oils and smudges from the lenses. A tiny drop is all you need while running the lenses under warm water. Rub your fingers gently over the front and back of your lenses to remove smudges that remain while they are under the running water. Then, dry your glasses with an appropriate lint-free cleaning cloth.
Protecting Your Eyeglasses for Long Life
Beyond how to clean glasses, you need to understand how to care for them at all times. This includes how to hold them when not wearing them and how to store them so that you do not damage them by accident.
- Never use paper towels, toilet paper, or facial tissues on your lenses. They are filled with lint and are likely to scratch your glasses. They might also contain perfume oil that could leave a residue on your glasses.
- Don’t attempt to remove scratches from glasses by “buffing” them. It will only make the situation worse.
- Store your glasses properly when you’re not wearing them. This means in a place where they aren’t likely to get scratched, knocked over, or otherwise damaged.
Whether you’re looking for brand new glasses, want to replace an old pair, or are looking for more tips like the above, Contact Replacement Lens Express (RLE), we have your back. Contact us today with any questions and concerns you may have about the best eyeglass cleaner or to get started finding the perfect eyeglasses for you.